9.26.2012

Birthday Dinner!

I know I discussed my pumpkin party being the next post- however, we had the pumpkin party and I took 0 pictures of the actual pumpkin painting! It was chaos! I did take some food pics...of course..so that post will have to wait until after our little birthday/house warming party this weekend.
For today, I decided you all needed the recipes for my husband's birthday dinner (which is today). His mother was amazing at making whatever the boys wanted for their special day- I think food is his love language :) She passed away 3 years ago, so I always try to make the holiday meals special and I try to cook her recipes for his birthday- I know he appreciates it. We are having a party for him on Sunday and I am making Mexican food (he is an Arizona boy...that is his absolute favorite) so for tonight- BBQ Beef, Broccoli slaw and...Buster Bar Dessert! I am just going to say one thing about my man on his birthday...Dave is literally the most authentically kind person on the planet, I am so blessed God chose him to be my husband and the father of my girls. He is amazing and well worth the hours of cooking today! ok...now on with the good stuff!

I started at 9:30am throwing the BBQ beef together- I did a previous post on the BBQ Beef: HERE. Two things, 1) this is AMAZING, I literally wanted to lick the "slow cooker" 2) the broccoli slaw is a MUST!

Slow-Cooker Open-Face Pulled-Pork Sandwiches With Tangy Broccoli Slaw

Serves 4Hands-On Time: 15m Total Time: 8hr 15m

Ingredients

  • medium red onion, sliced
  • 8 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 12-ounce package broccoli slaw (4 cups)
  • medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
  • 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 2 pieces
  • (JM NOTE: I used Lean Beef- just ask the butcher if you want to switch)
  • thick slices sandwich bread, toasted (JM NOTE: We used Whole Wheat Buns)

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, mix together the red onion, 4 tablespoons of the vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 3 days.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of the remaining vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Fold in the broccoli slaw and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
  3. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the yellow onion, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, Cajun seasoning, the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the pork and turn to coat.
  4. Cover and cook until the pork is very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time). Using 2 forks, shred the pork and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve the pork and onions on the toast with the broccoli slaw.


Here is the buster bar dessert recipe- if you like a Buster Bar or Peanut Buster Parfait at DQ you will LOVE this!

Buster Bar Dessert:
Topping: Mix and Boil on stove top for 8 minutes (constantly stir on the stove for the 8 minutes)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk (1- 12oz can)
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter (I use 1 stick of margarine)
- 2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
Allow mixture to cool *do NOT refridgerate

Crust:
- 1lb bag of Oreo's with filling- crushed (I tried double stuffed today- its all the same taste)
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick of melted margarine
*mix and press on bottom of 9x13 inch pan
CHILL

DIRECTIONS: 
- On chilled crust, put 1 layer of spanish peanuts (Dave does not like this step- so it is optional, good either way!)
- Add 1/2 gallon of your favorite ice cream (when you start cooking set the ice cream out of the freezer to soften- then slice and spread with a wooden spoon. *Dave likes vanilla bean ice cream and peppermint at Christmas time
- Finally, pour cooled chocolate mixture over the top and freeze until you serve.

Here are some pics of the process!
{Oreo layer}

{Be prepared for this...little fingers are all over this!}

{On the stove....make sure to keep stirring!}

{After the ice cream spread!}

{Make sure the chocolate is cooled- do not pour blazing hot chocolate on the ice cream!}

{TaDa!} 

{We had one happy daddy tonight! Happy Birthday Dave!}




























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...