1.14.2011

Bring on the Bacteria!

Last spring I came down with a nasty bug while in Nashville, I have never felt so nauseous (other than those glorious first 3 months of pregnancy and I knew that wasn't the case). I went to see my doctor and they told me I had an intestinal infection and to try Probiotics. I grabbed some at Walgreens, thinking it was a hoax, but willing to try anything, and it totally worked. I felt better almost immediately and continued to take them because they have so many positive benefits. I am not a doctor, but I do love to do a little research, so according to medicinenet.com “Probiotics are live microorganisms (in most cases, bacteria) that are similar to beneficial microorganisms found in the human gut. They are also called "friendly bacteria" or "good bacteria." Apparently by taking these good bacteria it might help to fight off a host of things including: managing lactose intolerance, preventing colon cancer, lowering cholesterol, lowering blood pressure, improving immune function and preventing infections, Helicobacter pylori, Antibiotic-associated diarrhea, reducing inflammation, improving mineral absorption, preventing harmful bacterial growth under stress, irritable bowel syndrome and colitis and managing urogenital health. (according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic).
 I have no idea if this is the case, I know I haven’t been sick since taking them and many people I know have received amazing benefits from taking them. I started my girls on them at the recommendation on my girlfriend Heidi, who was told to try them for ear infections. The Doctor said Ellie needed tubes because all of her ear infections, so I am trying this first. So far so good, no infections since we started her on them. We have done a lot of traveling and been around a lot of sick kids this past month and no sickness yet, so hopefully this is the immune booster my kids need! I purchased the children’s daily probiotics at Whole Foods in the refrigerator section and they like the cherry flavor. I also use the yogurt with probiotic for their breakfast smoothies or with granola and they love it. Do your own research on this, I am a total believer and love that it is natural and works with our bodies natural functions. Bring on the Bacteria! Nature's Way - Primadophilus For Kids/Cherry, 80 mg, 30 chewable tablets
here is a good article: 
http://nutrition.about.com/od/nutritionforchildren/f/childrenprobiot.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...